Nation Building explores the relationship between modern nation building and nationalism in China and Japan in the 19th and through to the begining of World War II in Asia. Reforms throughout this period contributed to the development of new national identities and a new relationship between China and Japan. Throughout this time both nations contended with a range of opportunities and critical decisions that would play important roles during World War II.
- Under what conditions does nationalism lead to war?
- How do external threats shape the way leaders think about their country and its place in the world?
- How do changes in the world impact the way communities and nations view themselves?
- What are the conditions that make a country strong? What makes them weak?
- What were the critical events leading up to the outbreak of World War II in East Asia?
Nation Building Video Gallery