14 December 1937: Important Notice to the Refugees in the Safety Zone
- From now on people should stay off the streets as much as possible.
- At the most dangerous moment, everyone should get in houses or out of sight.
- The Safety Zone is for Refugees. Sorry, the Safety Zone has no power to give protection to soldiers.
- If there is any searching or inspection, give full freedom for such search. No opposition at all. 1
- 1 : John Rabe, The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe, trans. John E. Woods (New York: Vintage Books, 1998), 267–68.