This reading is available in three formats: standard, modified, and Spanish. Please select the version you wish to read using the dropdown below.

Login or Register

This content is available to Facing History users. Please login.

Hugo Moses described what he experienced on Kristallnacht and in the days that followed:

On the evening of 9 November 1938, the SA brown-shirts and the SS black-shirts met in bars to celebrate the fifteenth anniversary of [the Nazis’] failed putsch in Munich. Around eleven o’clock in the evening, I came home from a Jewish aid organization meeting and I can testify that most of the “German people” who a day later the government said were responsible for what happened that night lay peacefully in bed that evening. Everywhere lights had been put out, and nothing suggested that in the following hours such terrible events would take place.

Even the uniformed party members were not in on the plan; the order to destroy Jewish property came shortly before they moved from the bars to the Jewish houses. (I have this information from the brother of an SS man who took an active part in the pogroms.)

At 3 a.m. sharp, someone insistently rang at the door to my apartment. I went to the window and saw that the streetlights had been turned off. Nonetheless, I could make out a transport vehicle out of which emerged about twenty uniformed men. I recognized only one of them, a man who served as the leader; the rest came from other localities and cities and were distributed over the district in accordance with marching orders. I called out to my wife: “Don’t be afraid, they are party men; please keep calm.” Then I went to the door in my pajamas and opened it.

A wave of alcohol hit me, and the mob forced its way into the home. A leader pushed by me and yanked the telephone off the wall. A leader of the SS men, green-faced with drunkenness, cocked his revolver as I watched and then held it to my forehead and slurred: “Do you know why we’ve come here, you swine?” I replied, “No,” and he went on, “Because of the outrageous act committed in Paris, for which you are also to blame. If you even try to move, I’ll shoot you like a pig.” I kept quiet and stood, my hands behind my back, in the ice-cold [draft] coming in the open door. An SA man, who must have had a little human feeling, whispered to me: “Keep still. Don’t move.” During all this time and for another twenty minutes, the drunken SS leader fumbled threateningly with his revolver near my forehead. An inadvertent movement on my part or a clumsy one on his and my life would have been over. If I live to be a hundred, I will never forget that brutish face and those dreadful minutes.

In the meantime, about ten uniformed men had invaded my house. I heard my wife cry: “What do you want with my children? You’ll touch the children over my dead body!” Then I heard only the crashing of overturned furniture, the breaking of glass and the trampling of heavy boots. Weeks later, I was still waking from restless sleep, still hearing that crashing, hammering, and striking. We will never forget that night. After about half an hour, which seemed to me an eternity, the brutish drunks left our apartment, shouting and bellowing. The leader blew a whistle and as his subordinates stumbled past him, fired his revolver close to my head, two shots to the ceiling. I thought my eardrums had burst but I stood there like a wall. (A few hours later I showed a police officer the two bullet holes.) The last SA man who left the building hit me on the head so hard with the walking stick he had used to destroy my pictures that a fortnight later the swelling was still perceptible. As he went out, he shouted at me: “There you are, you Jewish pig. Have fun.” . . .

Towards dawn, a police officer appeared in order to determine whether there was any damage visible from the outside, such as broken window glass or furniture thrown out into the street. Shaking his head, he said to us, as I showed him the bullet holes from the preceding night: “It’s a disgrace to see all this. It wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t had to stay in our barracks.” As he left, the officer said, “I hope it’s the last time this will happen to you.”

Two hours later, another police officer appeared and told Moses, “I’m sorry, but I have to arrest you.”

I said to him, “I have never broken the law; tell me why you are arresting me.” The officer: “I have been ordered to arrest all Jewish men. Don’t make it so hard for me, just follow me.” My wife accompanied me to the police station. . . .

At the police station, the officers were almost all nice to us. Only one officer told my wife: “Go home. You may see your husband again after a few years of forced labor in the concentration camp, if he’s still alive.” Another officer, who had been at school with me, said to his comrade: “Man, don’t talk such nonsense.” To my wife he said: “Just go home now, you’ll soon have your husband back.” A few hours later my little boy came to see me again. The experiences of that terrible night and my arrest were too much for the little soul, and he kept weeping and looking at me as if I were about to be shot. The police officer I knew well took the child by the hand and said to me: “I’ll take the child to my office until you are taken away. If the boy saw that, he’d never forget it for the rest of his life.”1

After several weeks in prison, Moses was released, thanks to the wife of an “Aryan” acquaintance. Soon after, he and his family managed to leave Germany. Moses told his story for the first time in 1940, just a year and a half after the pogrom. He refused to reveal the name of his town or the identities of those who helped him, because he did not want to endanger those left behind.


  • 1 : Uta Gerhardt and Thomas Karlauf, eds., The Night of Broken Glass: Eyewitness Accounts of Kristallnacht (Cambridge, UK: Polity Press, 2012), 21–23. Reproduced by permission from Polity Press.

La Noche del Pogromo

Hugo Moses describió lo que experimentó La Noche de los Cristales Rotos y los días que siguieron:

La noche del 9 de noviembre de 1938, las camisas pardas de las SA y las camisas negras de las SS se reunieron en bares para celebrar el decimoquinto aniversario del fallido golpe de estado [de los nazis] en Múnich. Cerca de las once de la noche, llegué a casa después de una reunión de una organización que ayuda a los judíos y puedo atestiguar que la mayoría de la “gente alemana”, que al día siguiente fue señalada por el gobierno como responsable de lo que había pasado esa noche, estaba acostada tranquilamente en sus camas. Las luces estaban apagadas en todas partes y nada hacía pensar que en las siguientes horas se pudieran presentar esos eventos tan terribles. Incluso los miembros del grupo de uniformados no estaban en el plan; la orden de destruir propiedades judías fue dada poco antes de que salieran de los bares a las casas judías. (Recibí esta información del hermano de un hombre de las SS que participó activamente en los pogromos).

A las 3 a. m. en punto, alguien insistentemente timbraba en la puerta de mi apartamento. Fui a la ventana y vi que las farolas habían sido apagadas. Sin embargo, pude ver un vehículo de transporte del cual emergieron cerca de veinte hombres uniformados. Solo reconocí a uno de ellos, un hombre que servía como líder; los demás venían de otras localidades y ciudades y estaban distribuidos por el distrito de acuerdo con las órdenes de marcha. Llamé a mi esposa: “No temas, son hombres del partido; mantén la calma”. Después fui hasta la puerta, con mi pijama puesta, y abrí.

Sentí un fuerte olor a alcohol, y la turba entró a la fuerza a mi hogar. Un líder me empujó y arrancó el teléfono de la pared. Un líder de los hombres de las SS, con el rostro verde de la embriaguez, amartilló su revólver mientras yo lo observaba, lo apoyó en mi frente y masculló: “¿Sabe por qué hemos venido aquí, cabrón?”. Respondí que no, y él continuó: “Por el indignante acto cometido en París, del cual usted también es culpable. Si intenta moverse, le dispararé como a un cerdo”. Me mantuve en silencio, sin moverme, con las manos en la espalda, con [la bocanada de] aire helado que entraba por la puerta abierta. Un hombre de las SA, quien debió haber vislumbrado algo de humanidad en mí, me susurró: “Quédese quieto. No se mueva”. Durante todo este tiempo y otros veinte minutos más, el líder borracho de las SS seguía amenazando torpemente con su revólver cerca de mi frente. Un movimiento inadvertido de mi parte o un movimiento torpe de él y mi vida habría llegado a su fin. Si sobrevivo para cumplir cien años, nunca olvidaré ese tosco rostro y esos espantosos minutos.

Mientras tanto, unos diez uniformados habían invadido mi casa. Escuché a mi esposa gritando: “¿Qué quieren con mis hijos? ¡Tocarán a mis hijos sobre mi cadáver!”. Después, escuché solo los golpes de los muebles cuando son volteados, el sonido de los vidrios rotos y las pisadas de botas pesadas. Semanas más tarde, aún me despertaba debido a sueños intranquilos, aún seguía escuchando los vidrios, martillazos y golpes. Nunca olvidaremos esa noche. Después de aproximadamente media hora, que me pareció una eternidad, los toscos borrachos salieron de nuestro apartamento, gritando y vociferando. El líder silbó y mientras sus subordinados pasaban torpemente por su lado, este disparó su revólver cerca de mi cabeza, dos tiros al techo. Pensé que me habían explotado los tímpanos pero no me moví. (Unas horas más tarde le mostré a un oficial de policía los dos orificios de bala). El último hombre de las SA que salió del edificio me golpeó tan duro en la cabeza, con el bastón que usó para destruir mis pinturas, que a los quince días la inflamación aún era visible. Cuando salía, me gritó: “Ahí tiene, cerdo judío. Diviértase”…

Hacia el amanecer, un oficial de policía se presentó para determinar si había algún daño visible desde el exterior, como una ventana rota o muebles lanzados a la calle. Sacudiendo su cabeza, mientras yo le mostraba los orificios de bala de la noche anterior, nos dijo: “Es una desgracia ver todo esto. No hubiera sucedido si no hubiéramos tenido que quedarnos acuartelados”. Cuando salía dijo: “Espero que esta sea la última vez que les pasa algo así”.1

Dos horas más tarde, otro oficial de policía vino y le dijo a Moses: “Lo siento, pero tengo que arrestarlo”.

Le dije: “Nunca he infringido la ley, dígame por qué me está arrestando”. El oficial dijo: “Me han ordenado arrestar a todos los hombres judíos. No haga más difícil la situación, solo sígame”. Mi esposa me acompañó a la estación de policía…

En la estación de policía, casi todos los oficiales fueron amables con nosotros. Solo uno le dijo a mi esposa: “Váyase a casa. Podrá volver a ver a su esposo después de unos años de trabajo forzado en el campo de concentración, si es que aún está vivo”. Otro oficial, que había ido conmigo a la escuela, le dijo esto a su camarada: “Hombre, no diga esas tonterías”. Y le dijo a mi esposa: “Solo váyase a casa, pronto tendrá a su esposo de regreso”. Unas horas más tarde, mi hijo pequeño vino a verme nuevamente. Las experiencias de esa terrible noche y mi arresto fueron demasiado para el pequeño, así que seguía llorando y mirándome como si me fueran a disparar en cualquier momento. El oficial de policía que conocía bien, tomó al niño de la mano y me dijo: “Llevaré al niño a mi oficina hasta cuando se lo lleven. Si el chico veía eso, nunca lo olvidaría por el resto de su vida”.2

Después de varias semanas en prisión, Moses fue liberado, gracias a la esposa de un conocido “ario”. Al poco tiempo, él y su familia lograron salir de Alemania. Moses contó esta historia por primera vez en 1940, justo un año y medio después del pogromo. Se rehusó a revelar el nombre de su pueblo y las identidades de aquellos que lo ayudaron, porque no quería poner en peligro a quienes había dejado atrás.


  • 1 : Uta Gerhardt y Thomas Karlauf, eds., The Night of Broken Glass: Eyewitness Accounts of Kristallnacht (Cambridge, Reino Unido: Polity Press, 2012), 21–23. Reproducido con autorización de Polity Press.
  • 2 : Uta Gerhardt y Thomas Karlauf, eds., The Night of Broken Glass: Eyewitness Accounts of Kristallnacht (Cambridge, Reino Unido: Polity Press, 2012), 21–23. Reproducido con autorización de Polity Press.

Related Content


Opportunism during Kristallnacht

Examine firsthand reports of the theft committed against Jews during the chaos and violence of Kristallnacht.


Thoroughly Reprehensible Behavior

Read a report from the disciplinary hearing of a German college student who chose to help his Jewish neighbors after Kristallnacht. 

Search Our Collection

Everything you need to get started teaching your students about racism, antisemitism and prejudice.