The Margot Stern Strom Innovation Grants are for Facing History and Ourselves educators who think outside the box to transform schools and impact student learning. Teachers/teams who have attended a qualifying workshop are eligible to apply. The grants will allow great educators to take their ideas in collaboration with others to deepen their work in Facing History and innovate the ways in which it can be used to solve problems, address big questions, and make dreams become realities in classrooms and schools.
In 2015, five winners will be awarded grants for $6,000 and four runners up will receive $2500. This is double the award amount offered in previous years.
The Margot Stern Strom Innovation Grants are the premiere award available to Facing History teachers. While Facing History Together's Teacher Recognition Campaign focuses on bringing new teachers to our network, the Innovation Grants reward teachers who have been working with our content, pedagogy, and methods and are ready to bring their work to a deeper level of impact.
To be eligible to apply, educators must meet the following criteria:
- Has attended a two-day qualifying workshop, seminar, or online course and uses Facing History resources in their classroom or school.
- Be directly affiliated with a college or secondary school (middle or high school) as a teacher, administrator, or staff. Teams are encouraged to apply.
- Winners of the 2014 contest and employees of Facing History and Ourselves are not eligible to apply.
What’s the contest timeline?
- December 15, 2014: Applications open to the entire Facing History network
- March 20, 2015: Applications close
- April 1, 2015: Winners and runners-up notified
- April 17, 2015: Winners and runners-up announced to the public
How do I apply?
- Contact your program associate with your intent to apply or with any questions
- You may submit your application on this page as of December 15th.
- Applicants/Teams must submit a 3-5 minute video or a written application that fully describes your project and how it includes any or all of the following elements: Innovative Ideas; Collaboration (online or otherwise); Digital Media Engagement; Whole School/Community Involvement
By submitting your application, you acknowledge that Facing History has permission to use all materials created for this project.