About this event:
Our single professional learning sessions are designed to easily fit into your day. Typically one hour or less, these sessions explore timely and relevant topics including teaching strategies, current events, and more.
This event qualifies for Certificate of Completion.
As fewer Holocaust survivors and witnesses are alive to share their stories, how can recorded testimonies of Holocaust survivors and witnesses inform our understanding and our students’ understanding of this history? How can these stories educate us about our responsibilities in the world today to share and preserve memory? In preparation for International Holocaust Remembrance Day, listen to a conversation with Eric Marcus, co-producer of the Those Who Were There: Voices from the Holocaust podcast, and Stephen Naron, Director of the Fortunoff Video Archive for Holocaust Testimonies. Explore the significance of hearing testimonies from survivors and witnesses of the Holocaust and the impact of using podcasts as a learning tool in your classroom.
- Podcast: Those Who Were There Podcast
- Book: Holocaust and Human Behavior
- Lesson: Responding to the Stories of Holocaust Survivors
- Collection: Young Writers’ Diaries - Salvaged Pages
- Teaching Strategy: Found Poem
- Teaching Strategy Video: Taking Found Poems Online
- Blog: Using Making Gay History Blog Series
- Classroom Video: Memory and Legacy: Preparing to Learn from Descendants of Holocaust Survivors
- Poem: Come Take this Giant Leap With Me by Sonia Weitz
You might also be interested in…
Holocaust Denial: How Teachers Can Turn the Tide
Teaching About the Holocaust in Middle School Classrooms: Explore the Legacy of the Holocaust Today
Teaching About the Holocaust in Middle School Classrooms: New Films to Explore the Holocaust and Human Behavior
Teaching About the Holocaust in Middle School Classrooms: Teaching the Rise of the Nazis through Images
Rethinking America and the Holocaust
Teaching the Rise of the Nazis Through Images
How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do: An Introduction to Stereotype Threat
New Films to Explore the Holocaust and Human Behavior
New Holocaust and Human Behavior Lessons for Experienced Educators in Jewish Settings
Genocide Education in Massachusetts: A forum for educators