THIS EVENT IS NOW AT CAPACITY.
If you are interested in a future Explorations workshop, please apply for our December offering.
Schools are the foundation of just and democratic societies. Fulfilling their civic mission depends on educators’ ability to integrate academics, civic learning, and social-emotional development in classrooms that are inclusive, equitable, and engaging for all students. This October, we invite schools and districts to gather a design team of 4–6 stakeholders to join us for our two-day online “Explorations” workshop and learn how Facing History & Ourselves supports educators to do this essential work.
Explorations will introduce you to the principles behind Facing History’s programs and our approach to SEL, equity, and civic education. Plus, we’ll share resources to help educational leaders foster more equitable mindsets and learn about effective practices for addressing the impact that historical legacies of injustice have on their school communities. Together, we’ll explore how understanding ourselves, understanding students, understanding history, and understanding learning can empower educators as change agents.
What’s Included in Explorations: Two-day online workshop for a design team (up to 6 people) and two 90-minute planning meetings with a Facing History Program Associate.
Who Should be on Your Design Teams: School or district design teams of up to 6 stakeholders, including school leaders and administrators, middle and high school classroom teachers, guidance counselors or social workers, and/or other school and district leaders. The ideal team size is 4–6 people. Please contact us at support [at] facinghistory.org if you have any questions about who should be a part of your design team.
Fee: There is an $800 fee for school or district design teams of up to 6 people. This fee is due once your application has been accepted. The fee includes registration for the two-day online workshop for your design team and two 90-minute planning meetings with a Facing History Program Associate after the workshop.
Facing History is committed to making this workshop accessible to any school or district team that would like to participate. Scholarships are available upon request. Contact us at support [at] facinghistory.org for more information.
Workshop participants will develop their capacity to:
- Deepen a Sense of Purpose: Educators will deepen their sense of purpose and their appreciation of the role of education in democratic and just societies.
- Nurture Relationships: Educators will understand that building positive, identity-affirming relationships with fellow educators, staff, and students is foundational to learning.
- Cultivate Equity Mindsets: Educators will engage in self-reflection about their identity and practice, including developing consciousness of how power and bias shape teaching, learning, and other structures within schools, such as discipline and tracking.
- Center Students: Educators will learn approaches to creating student-centered classes that are relevant, reflective, and affirming.
- Embrace Continuous Learning: Educators will understand that the practice of good teaching involves lifelong learning and will feel empowered to create and sustain a culture of personal and professional growth in schools.
Tuesday, October 18, 2022: 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET (see in your time zone)
Wednesday, October 19, 2022: 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET (see in your time zone)
Workshop Time Commitment: 2 days, approximately 4.5 hours per day (plus some breaks)
Workshop Format: Facilitated Zoom meetings with workshop materials in Canvas
Accessibility: Facing History is committed to creating and maintaining a welcoming and inclusive educational environment for educators of all abilities. If you have an accessibility need, please contact us at support [at] facinghistory.org.
This workshop is directed towards design teams of educators from a school or district.