The Chicago Schools Alliance, launched in 2015, is grounded in evidence that “whole-school implementation leads to increased teacher effectiveness and commitment, improvements in students’ academic and civic learning outcomes, a safer and more respectful classroom environment, and a transformed school culture.” Today, 25 Chicago Public middle and high schools partner with Facing History for whole school work.
Facing History invites individual Chicago Public Schools to apply to join the Facing History Chicago Schools Alliance for the 2019 - 2020 school year. Extended deadline for NEW applications! Applications for new schools are now due by 11:59pm on Wednesday, May 29, 2019.
Renewal applications for returning schools are due by 11:59pm on Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
Diversity and equity are core values of Facing History and Ourselves. As we seek to create a Chicago Schools Alliance that reflects the diversity of students throughout our city, priority for acceptance will be given to schools that are historically underserved or located in communities that are currently underrepresented in the Alliance.
If accepted into the Alliance, Facing History will work with your school to develop a workplan for the coming year, with the opportunity to renew the partnership in subsequent years. The workplan customizes the goals for each school, aligned to the commitment of the partnership:
Facing History Chicago commits to:
- Providing professional development at no cost for:
- Humanities teachers on core content
- School and Instructional Leaders (networking opportunities)
- Program associate consultation with school leadership to develop and implement a vision, aligned with existing schools goals, related to school culture and Facing History and Ourselves
- Special events and conferences for all members of the Chicago Schools Alliance to network and learn from one another
- Follow up support and coaching for Facing History and Ourselves-trained teachers from Facing History staff
- Facing History will celebrate and promote the school’s successes on social media
Alliance Schools commit to:
- Engaged leadership, with the principal or designated administrative liaison identifying a diverse leadership team for the school and committing to both participating themself and to teacher participation in professional development and network events
- Convening an Alliance School leadership team that attends network gatherings, meets with Facing History and Ourselves program staff, and communicates regularly
- Sending humanities teachers to professional development on implementing Facing History case studies in full scope & sequence 3+ week units. This may include, but is not limited to, eighth grade humanities or social studies teachers attending Choices in Little Rock, high school World Studies teachers attending Holocaust and Human Behavior, and high school U.S. History teachers attending The Reconstruction Era as part of the Facing History-CPS Curriculum Project.
- Sharing successes and challenges in order to contribute to a conversation among schools in the Facing History Chicago Alliance Schools network
- Acknowledging Facing History and Ourselves as a source of professional development and curricular resources and including the Facing History logo on the website
Thanks to the support of generous funding partners, we are pleased to be able to waive all fees for participation in this project.
Any Chicago Public School principal or school leader is invited to apply. Diversity and equity are core values of Facing History and Ourselves. As we seek to create a Chicago Schools Alliance that reflects the diversity of students throughout our city, priority for acceptance will be given to schools that are historically underserved or located in communities that are currently underrepresented in the Alliance.
The application period for the 2019 - 2020 school year is now open.
Revised Deadline. Now due on Wednesday, May 29, 2019. New schools will be notified of their acceptance status by June 7, 2019.
Due on Wednesday, May 15, 2019. Returning Alliance Schools will be notified of their renewal status on an rolling basis.