Now available! Sacred Texts, Modern Questions
Get your copy of Sacred Texts, Modern Questions
Our latest resource, a five unit collection designed specifically for educators in a Jewish setting, is now available in print and electronic format.
Or download a free PDF for your eReader, tablet, or personal computer.
Cover: A Tree of Learning, by Samuel Bak. Image courtesy of
Pucker Gallery, puckergallery.com
About Sacred Texts, Modern Questions
An innovative new resource for educators in a Jewish setting, Facing History’s Sacred Texts, Modern Questions takes readers on a journey between the sacred texts of our past, and the questions that shape our present.
From moral courage in Pharaoh's Egypt, to struggles of conscience and faith in Hitler's Europe, to readings from today's influential thinkers, Sacred Texts, Modern Questions promotes an understanding of how Jewish values can inspire students to combat prejudice with compassion, and indifference with participation.
Features of Sacred Texts, Modern Questions
What People are Saying
Bring Sacred Texts, Modern Questions to Your Students
This unique classroom resource will help you and your students make critical connections between their studies and their lives. Connections to explore include:
- How can students be inspired to connect their Judaic studies not only to history, but also to the choices they face in the world today?
- Examining the relationship between the way we define ourselves and the ways that we are defined by others;
- Asking how traditional and modern Jewish sources inform our understanding of our responsibility to others;
- Understanding of the role of memory in shaping our collective and individual identity;
- Exploring fundamental questions of identity: Who am I? What does it mean to be a Jew?
Explore Our Jewish Education Program
- Find workshops and local events, books and study guides, videos and more from Facing History’s Jewish Education program.
- Sacred Texts Webinar 02/11/2013 - Join us online in February for an insightful webinar that will help you build memorable classroom experiences around teaching Sacred Texts, Modern Questions.
Questions? Contact Our Program Staff
Jan Darsa, Director of Jewish Education Program
Amanda Hadad, Project Manager
Shira Deener , Senior Program Associate