Measuring Our Reach
By the Numbers 2012
Thanks to Your Help
- 29,000 educators used Facing History and Ourselves in fiscal year 2012.
- An estimated 2,000,000 students are reached by our network of trained educators each year.
- 8,100 educators participated in 325 professional development offerings this year, which included in-depth seminars and in-person and online workshops.
- 1,100,000 visits were made to our website, facinghistory.org, in fiscal year 2012.
New Educator Resources
A Guide to the Film BULLY: Fostering Empathy and Action in Schools; and A Convenient Hatred: The History of Antisemitism were published for classroom use this year.
Supporting Innovative Teachers
Forty eight new teachers were chosen to receive the Margot Stern Strom Teaching Award in 2012. They are among 226 teachers who have earned this recognition since its inception in 2006.
Facing History’s 2012 conference, “Engaging Education: Rethinking Learning, Teaching, and Achievement in Urban Schools,” convened practitioners, scholars, students, and the community to examine how to create schools where all youth can thrive.
Impact and Outcomes
- In a spring 2011 survey of Facing History teachers, 100 percent reported that Facing History training had made them a better teacher.
- 94 percent of Facing History students are more likely to recognize the dangers of stereotyping.
- 83 percent of Facing History students are more likely to help if they see someone being bullied.
- 73 percent of Facing History students reported that they had gained skills relevant to analyzing world events.
- 90 percent of Facing History teachers said students were more engaged.